- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine Muenster, cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, eggs, process cheese, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups of cheese mixture. Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture and dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 160°, 40-45 minutes. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Over-the-Top Mac 'n' Cheese
"I found the finished Mac & Cheese dish to be very dry. When I read the recipe, I could tell that it might be dry, so I increased the amount of half & half by half a cup and increased each cheese by a quarter of a cup. In spite of the increases, it was still dry. I also noted that salt and pepper were the only spices and that despite the variety of cheeses, the taste might be bland. So I added some cayenne pepper and a multiple herb & spice blend. Still, the flavor did not jump off the page at me. This recipe needs a serious overhaul. It's not the wost I've ever made but it certainly is a far cry from the best! If this were a family recipe of mine, I definately would not have posted it!"
"This is for Uldeno. You can substitute Provolone for the Munster, or just use more Monterey Jack. Either one works well as a a substitute for Munster. Hope that helps!"
"It sounds amazing. I love M&C..... BUT....Were I live we don't have Muenster cheese.What can I use instead?I live in Israel......"
"I didn't find this very creamy as is, either. Maybe using evaporated milk or regular milk instead of half-n-half would have made it creamier. This recipe needs a lot more seasoning as well. I watched my boyfriend sprinkle on the pepper quite a bit. :("
"this is or was the best mack and cheese I have ever eaten."
"This amazing recipe is one of my staples and I am very picky about repeat recipes. I did however change it just a bit. Instead of normal Velveeta I use the white or Blanco as it is labeled on the package. I do not use seasoning salt at all. The cheeses give it enough salt as it is. I do however in place of seasoning salt sprinkle over the top, approximately 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of each: Paprika, Garlic, and Onion Powder. I also add some fresh ground pepper and a generous squeeze of yellow mustard, about 1.5 to 2 Tbsp. It gives it a very subtle kick my family enjoys. I have been cooking since I was 7 and I absolutely love it as well as constant experimenting that fortunately for my family has only been yucky 3 times. Lol. That is a good record for how long I have been cooking for them. (9 years for my family)I am sure I messed up when I was younger but I followed recipes exactly back then. Happy Cooking!"
"thought too many cheeses and hard to warm up and still taste like first day. second day too dry."
"I actually added a couple of well beaten eggs in with the liquid and mixed in some well drained spinach! I baked until it was set in the center and add more shredded cheese on the top and it was fantastic!"
"I followed directions to the letter. It wasn't at all creamy but rather "curdy," for lack of better words and was very bland. I have yet to be successful making homemade mac & cheese and will stick with Stouffer's until I am."