Over-the-Top Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine Muenster, cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, eggs, process cheese, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups of cheese mixture. Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture and stir to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture and dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 160°, 40-45 minutes. Yield: 7 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 585 calories, 33g fat (20g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein
Reviews for Over-the-Top Mac 'n' Cheese
"This is for Uldeno. You can substitute Provolone for the Munster, or just use more Monterey Jack. Either one works well as a a substitute for Munster. Hope that helps!"
"It sounds amazing. I love M&C..... BUT....Were I live we don't have Muenster cheese.What can I use instead?I live in Israel......"
"My grandchildren demand I make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner - I add an additional egg and double all the cheeses though - also add more half & half - I baked it till it gets a little brown on top - this way it is crusty on top but dig in and it is so creamy then."
"I didn't find this very creamy as is, either. Maybe using evaporated milk or regular milk instead of half-n-half would have made it creamier. This recipe needs a lot more seasoning as well. I watched my boyfriend sprinkle on the pepper quite a bit. :("
"this is or was the best mack and cheese I have ever eaten."
"This amazing recipe is one of my staples and I am very picky about repeat recipes. I did however change it just a bit. Instead of normal Velveeta I use the white or Blanco as it is labeled on the package. I do not use seasoning salt at all. The cheeses give it enough salt as it is. I do however in place of seasoning salt sprinkle over the top, approximately 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of each: Paprika, Garlic, and Onion Powder. I also add some fresh ground pepper and a generous squeeze of yellow mustard, about 1.5 to 2 Tbsp. It gives it a very subtle kick my family enjoys. I have been cooking since I was 7 and I absolutely love it as well as constant experimenting that fortunately for my family has only been yucky 3 times. Lol. That is a good record for how long I have been cooking for them. (9 years for my family)I am sure I messed up when I was younger but I followed recipes exactly back then. Happy Cooking!"
"thought too many cheeses and hard to warm up and still taste like first day. second day too dry."
"I actually added a couple of well beaten eggs in with the liquid and mixed in some well drained spinach! I baked until it was set in the center and add more shredded cheese on the top and it was fantastic!"
"I followed directions to the letter. It wasn't at all creamy but rather "curdy," for lack of better words and was very bland. I have yet to be successful making homemade mac & cheese and will stick with Stouffer's until I am."
"My husband loved this! It took my longer to do all the prep work then it says, but it was definitely worth the time. Our grocery store didn't have Muenster cheese so I used colby jack instead. I also used condensed milk instead of the half and half. Will definitely make again!"
"This was very good and filling! My entire family enjoyed this creamy delite!"
"I put a few more different chesses (mozzarella, provolone, american) in mine and evporated milk. It makes it oh soooo creamy."
"I like to add raw minced onion to mine and it gives it a wonderful, crisp and different flavor. My kids loved it that way."
"My two teenage boys request this all the time!! I added fresh shredded parmesean/romano to it, along with about a teaspoon of season salt. according to the boys - it rocks!"
"fantastic recipe, we loved this very much!"
"I love this recipe. I used the cheese I had on hand and evaporated milk. Don't think I can go back to any kind of box mix after eating this!"