- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine Muenster, cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, eggs, process cheese, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups of cheese mixture. Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture and dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 160°, 40-45 minutes. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Over-the-Top Mac 'n' Cheese
"This is for Uldeno. You can substitute Provolone for the Munster, or just use more Monterey Jack. Either one works well as a a substitute for Munster. Hope that helps!"
"It sounds amazing. I love M&C..... BUT....Were I live we don't have Muenster cheese.What can I use instead?I live in Israel......"
"My grandchildren demand I make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner - I add an additional egg and double all the cheeses though - also add more half & half - I baked it till it gets a little brown on top - this way it is crusty on top but dig in and it is so creamy then."
"I didn't find this very creamy as is, either. Maybe using evaporated milk or regular milk instead of half-n-half would have made it creamier. This recipe needs a lot more seasoning as well. I watched my boyfriend sprinkle on the pepper quite a bit. :("
"this is or was the best mack and cheese I have ever eaten."