- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup dulce de leche, divided
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil with 1
- teaspoon butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, salt and
- remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy
- thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat;
- stir in pecans and vanilla. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let
- stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, milk, oil, eggs and vanilla
- until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking
- soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. In a
- another bowl, beat cheeses until smooth; add the chocolate,
- confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream and 1/2 cup
- dulce de leche.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2 cups
- frosting and sprinkle with 1/4 cup toffee. Repeat layers once. Top
- with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and
- sides of cake.
- Drop remaining dulce de leche by teaspoonfuls over top of cake; cut
- through frosting with a knife to swirl. Press remaining toffee into
- top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Editor’s Notes: We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test. This recipe was tested with Nestle dulce de leche. Look for it in the international foods section.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 781 calories, 49 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 504 mg sodium, 80 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.