Over-the-Top Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 9 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dulce de leche, divided
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into small pieces.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, milk, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. In a another bowl, beat cheeses until smooth; add the chocolate, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream and 1/2 cup dulce de leche.
- 6. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2 cups frosting and sprinkle with 1/4 cup toffee. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 7. Drop remaining dulce de leche by teaspoonfuls over top of cake; cut through frosting with a knife to swirl. Press remaining toffee into top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 781 calories, 49g fat (24g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 504mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Over-the-Top Chocolate Cake
"This recipe was tested with Nestle La Lechera dulce de leche; look for it in the international foods section. If using Eagle Brand dulce de leche (caramel flavored sauce), thicken according to package directions before using.Hope this helps!"
"I will be making this recipe for the third time in a day or so. It is an awesome recipe and the finished product is restaurant/fine bakery quality. I made my own dulce du leche (found a recipe on Martha Stewarts web site). The final cake has a tendency to shift with all the frosting and layers. Its a great recipe, a lot of work and steps but worth the effort for a special occasion."
"cake and filling very light tasting.I did not make the dulce de leche or toffeejust sprinkled a broken Hershey Bar on top"