Over-the-Top Cherry Jam Recipe
We live in Door County, an area known for its wonderful tart cherries. This beautiful sweet jam makes lovely gifts.—Karen Haen, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Process: 5 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 4-3/4 cups sugar
- 1. In a food processor, cover and process cherries in batches until finely chopped. Transfer to a Dutch oven; stir in pectin and butter. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- 2. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into six hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 half-pints.
2 tablespoons equals 89 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC