- 4 stalks Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- Cut stems from chard; chop stems and leaves separately. Reserve leaves for adding later. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, squash, pepper, carrot and garlic. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta and reserved chard leaves. Cook, covered, on low 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Top servings with pesto. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Over-the-Rainbow Minestrone
"Didnt really care for it that much. Maybe it was the greens I didnt like in it"
"Made this yesterday without the chard, and substituted 8 cups chicken broth for the veg broth. When it had fully cooked there was little liquid left. Probably because I didn't read the directions carefully, and added an entire package of rainbow pasta. Really liked it that way, probably more than if it had been more like soup. Thought it could have used some seasoning, which I will add when I make it again."
"Fantastic!!! Just what I was looking for in a minestrone. The colors look so beautiful & it was exactly what I needed too warm me up on a cold day! I took the advice to use multi colored pasta. Definitely a keeper!"
"Cooked on the stovetop for about 1 hour and we were perfectly happy with the taste."
"you look at total carbs. 15 grams equal i carb count' You have a total of 34 grams so, you have 2 carbs. if you had 43 you would count that as 3 carbs. I hope this clears it up for you, i know it is confusing, Total carbs dived by 15."
"Also try using rainbow carrots and rainbow chard if you can find them!"