- 4 stalks Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- Cut stems from chard; chop stems and leaves separately. Reserve leaves for adding later. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, squash, pepper and carrot. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta and reserved chard leaves. Cook, covered, on low 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Top servings with pesto. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Over-the-Rainbow Minestrone
Sort By :
Thanks, Crystal. This recipe is so versatile and delicious. I have made it twice already; and plan to make it many more times. I substituted carrots for the Swiss chard and used Better Than Bouillon Chicken No Chicken Bouillon instead of vegetable broth.
Very good recipe. I sautéed celery and onions, instead of the chard stalks. Will definitely make this again.
Question about carb. content: am a bit confused ~ since 1 single carb is 15 grams, when figuring daily amount of carbs, do I multiply the 34 grams x 15 to get true amount of carbs, OR, since 15 grams is 1 carb do I simply multiply x2. Truly hope I'm making sense here. Thank you for your help! K.