Over-the-Rainbow Minestrone Recipe
This colorful soup is vegetarian-friendly and full of fresh flavors from a rainbow of vegetables. You can use any multi-colored pasta in place of the rotini. —Crystal Schlueter, Northglenn, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours 20 minutes YIELD:10 servings
- 4 stalks Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1. Cut stems from chard; chop stems and leaves separately. Reserve leaves for adding later. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, squash, pepper and carrot. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in pasta and reserved chard leaves. Cook, covered, on low 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Top servings with pesto. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 231 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 1,015 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC