Over-the-Rainbow Minestrone Recipe
- 4 stalks Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1. Cut stems from chard; chop stems and leaves separately. Reserve leaves for adding later. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, squash, pepper and carrot. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in pasta and reserved chard leaves. Cook, covered, on low 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Top servings with pesto. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 231 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 1,015 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Over-the-Rainbow Minestrone
"Made this yesterday without the chard, and substituted 8 cups chicken broth for the veg broth. When it had fully cooked there was little liquid left. Probably because I didn't read the directions carefully, and added an entire package of rainbow pasta. Really liked it that way, probably more than if it had been more like soup. Thought it could have used some seasoning, which I will add when I make it again."
"Fantastic!!! Just what I was looking for in a minestrone. The colors look so beautiful & it was exactly what I needed too warm me up on a cold day! I took the advice to use multi colored pasta. Definitely a keeper!"
"Cooked on the stovetop for about 1 hour and we were perfectly happy with the taste."
"My husband and I both loved this soup. I cooked it on the stove, bringing it to a boil, then covering and simmering on medium-low for 20 minutes. I added the pasta and chard leaves, cooking for an additional 10 minutes. The addition of pesto is brilliant."
"you look at total carbs. 15 grams equal i carb count' You have a total of 34 grams so, you have 2 carbs. if you had 43 you would count that as 3 carbs. I hope this clears it up for you, i know it is confusing, Total carbs dived by 15."
"Also try using rainbow carrots and rainbow chard if you can find them!"
"Thanks, Crystal. This recipe is so versatile and delicious. I have made it twice already; and plan to make it many more times. I substituted carrots for the Swiss chard and used Better Than Bouillon Chicken No Chicken Bouillon instead of vegetable broth."
"Very good recipe. I sautéed celery and onions, instead of the chard stalks. Will definitely make this again."
"Question about carb. content: am a bit confused ~ since 1 single carb is 15 grams, when figuring daily amount of carbs, do I multiply the 34 grams x 15 to get true amount of carbs, OR, since 15 grams is 1 carb do I simply multiply x2. Truly hope I'm making sense here. Thank you for your help! K."