Oven Swiss Steak Recipe
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- 2. Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Brown on both sides in drippings. Top meat with mushrooms, tomatoes and onion. Sprinkle with tarragon and bacon. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender, basting twice.
- 3. Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with meat. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 396 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Oven Swiss Steak
"My family loves this dish!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.