Oven Swiss Steak Recipe
I was really glad to find this recipe since it's a great way to use round steak and it picks up fabulous flavor from one of my favorite herbs - tarragon. I am a homemaker with three children and enjoy cooking tasty dinners like this one for my family. -Lorna Dickau, Vanderhoof, British Columbia
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Brown on both sides in drippings. Top meat with mushrooms, tomatoes and onion. Sprinkle with tarragon and bacon. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender, basting twice.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with meat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Oven Swiss Steak in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p27
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Oven Swiss Steak(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Steak Dinner >
- Steak Recipes >