Oven Meatball Stew Recipe
My husband found this recipe almost 30 years ago. He would often prepare it for me and our daughters...now they make it for their own families.—Madge Harman, Orange Park, Florida
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 12 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Whisk flour into drippings until smooth. Gradually whisk in tomato juice; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Return meatballs to pan. Add vegetables; stir gently. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 341 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Oven Meatball Stew
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC