My husband found this recipe almost 30 years ago. He would often prepare it for me and our daughters...now they make it for their own families.—Madge Harman, Orange Park, Florida
Featured In: 23 Favorite Italian Recipes
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 12 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Whisk flour into drippings until smooth. Gradually whisk in tomato juice; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return meatballs to pan. Add vegetables; stir gently. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Oven Meatball Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p127
Reviews for Oven Meatball Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review