Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken Recipe
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Refrigerate 1/4 cup lemonade concentrate for basting. Pour remaining concentrate into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until juices run clear, basting with reserved lemonade concentrate every 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken(15)
Sort By :
This is one of my Son's favorite recipes. I marinate it overnight and it makes a GREAT Sunday dinner!!
This is a tasty and different take on fried chicken. I thought maybe the lemonade concentrate would turn out too strong, but my family and I liked the tang the lemonade gave the coating. However, I suggest "dabbing" the butter and lemonade on, not "brushing" it which would disrupt the coating. In order for it to turn out a little more crispy, next time I think I'll baste the chicken only 2 times, not 3 as the recipe indicates, and I did marinate it overnight beforehand. Oh, and tell the food police to take a hike.
I should have marinated the chicken overnight for more lemon flavor, but still the family loved it. The skin had a nice crispness and the meat was very tender.
this was so delicious...if you prefer light chicken recipes then go to that section...save the reviews for the ones that have tried and like the recipe please. thank you.