Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken Recipe
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Refrigerate 1/4 cup lemonade concentrate for basting. Pour remaining concentrate into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 4. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until juices run clear, basting with reserved lemonade concentrate every 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken
"This is one of my Son's favorite recipes. I marinate it overnight and it makes a GREAT Sunday dinner!!"
"This is a tasty and different take on fried chicken. I thought maybe the lemonade concentrate would turn out too strong, but my family and I liked the tang the lemonade gave the coating. However, I suggest "dabbing" the butter and lemonade on, not "brushing" it which would disrupt the coating. In order for it to turn out a little more crispy, next time I think I'll baste the chicken only 2 times, not 3 as the recipe indicates, and I did marinate it overnight beforehand. Oh, and tell the food police to take a hike."
"I should have marinated the chicken overnight for more lemon flavor, but still the family loved it. The skin had a nice crispness and the meat was very tender."
"this was so delicious...if you prefer light chicken recipes then go to that section...save the reviews for the ones that have tried and like the recipe please. thank you."
"If I wanted a "light" recipe I would have looked in the "light" section. Perhaps dentaljenn is in the wrong area. This sounds great to me and I plan to try it! Thanks for the posting."
"I think it sound great and I plan on trying it. Thanks for the recipe."
"It's not in the light section for a reason guys."
"Hey turtlemama. the noise you will be hearing will be your arties slamming shut with all that fat. AMO"
"It can not be oven fried when it is cooked in all that oil. Should have gone directly to the oven. jbarb 60"
"looks and sounds yummy!!! can't wait to try it out this coming weekend!!!"
"Y'all This is FRIED."
"My husband says "God made chicken to be fried!" whenever I serve him a chicken dish fixed some other way. Can't wait to try this.golfergal"
"Interesting...I can't wait to try it for my husband, who also loves fried chicken!"
"Can we have the nutrition breakdown on this recipe? I would like to see on ALL recipes!Ruthstew"