Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken Recipe
My great-grandson Austin eats only chicken, so it appears on the menu at every family gathering. This version, which marinates chicken in lemonade, is among his favorites.—Anneliese Deising, Plymouth, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 50 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Refrigerate 1/4 cup lemonade concentrate for basting. Pour remaining concentrate into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 4. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until juices run clear, basting with reserved lemonade concentrate every 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4-6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC