Oven French Toast with Nut Topping Recipe
—Donna Justin, Sparta, Wisconsin
- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut in 1-inch slices
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or hickory nuts
- 1. Fill a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with bread slices to within 1/2 in. of top; set aside.
- 2. In blender, combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and mace; cover and process until blended. Pour over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden. (Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.) Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC