- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut in 1-inch slices
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or hickory nuts
- Fill a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with bread slices to within 1/2 in. of top; set aside.
- In blender, combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and mace; cover and process until blended. Pour over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden. (Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.) Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Oven French Toast with Nut Topping(3)
Sort By :
I followed the recipe exactly and the french toast remained mush even after baking it for 2 hours, but the topping was very quite tasty.
I have made this recipe X10 for a church function and it got rave reviews.
This recipe is delicious. Who needs cinnamon rolls! My children LOVE this. I was worried that it was going to be sickly sweet. It isn't. It has become out special occassion breakfast. We like it with fruit salad and bacon or sausage. It is DELICIOUS.
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Breakfast Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- French Toast Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >