—Donna Justin, Sparta, Wisconsin
- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut in 1-inch slices
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or hickory nuts
- Fill a well-greased 13x9-in. baking dish with bread slices to within 1/2 in. of top; set aside.
- In blender, combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and mace; cover and process until blended. Pour over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden. (Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.) Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Oven French Toast with Nut Topping in Country Woman March/April 1989, p33
Reviews for Oven French Toast with Nut Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review