Oven Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 beef top round roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, cut into eighths
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or water
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the beef, potatoes, onions, celery and carrots; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomato juice, sherry or water, tapioca, sugar, salt, basil and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 3. Pour over beef mixture. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- 4. Add the beans; cook 30 minutes longer or until beans and meat are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 268 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 519 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Reviews for Oven Beef Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.