Oven Beef Stew Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, salt if desired and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the beef, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Oven Beef Stew(32)
Sort By :
This recipe is super easy and absolutely delicious! I added a little red wine at the end, about 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce. My family loved it!
Today I will be making this for my third time just this winter. Of all the stew recipes I have tried throughout the years, this one is tops! Definitely a winner in my book!
My husband's not typically a stew eater, but he loved the taste the tomatoes gave it. I used diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano in them instead of stewed tomatoes. Will definitely make again
I have made beef stew the same way for 45 years and this is my new recipe! Easy, tasty and my husband loves it!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >