ONE of my family's favorites, this dish is often at the heart of our special meals.
All our married children live nearby, so we have family gatherings often. Whenever I prepare these spareribs, I need a large quantity - most everyone asks for seconds.
-LaVerna Mjones, Moorhead, Minnesota
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 6 pounds pork spareribs
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 to 5 teaspoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; place on a rack in a shallow
- roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain
- ribs; pour sauce over all.
- Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Uncover; bake 30
- minutes longer, basting several times with sauce. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 pound) equals 884 calories, 48 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 191 mg cholesterol, 1,231 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 48 g protein.