Oven-Baked Country Fries
Looking for an alternative to french fries? Try these lightly crisp potato wedges. You can have fun with the coating—add some garlic powder, Cajun seasoning of whatever spices your family prefers.
—LaDonna Reed of Ponca City, Oklahoma
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium unpeeled baking potatoes (1 pound)
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. In another shallow
- bowl, combine the flour, bread crumbs, cheese and seasonings. Cut
- each potato lengthwise into eight wedges. Dip potatoes into egg
- whites, then coat with crumb mixture.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Spray wedges evenly with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375°
- for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (6 wedges) equals 185 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 822 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.