Orzo-Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Set aside 6 tablespoons pulp for filling. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Drain orzo.
- 2. In a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, orzo and reserved pulp. Spoon into tomatoes.
- 3. Place in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 stuffed tomato equals 150 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Orzo-Stuffed Tomatoes
"All I can say is WOW. Easy to make and tastes delicious."
"I made this again tonight with Quinoa instead of orzo so we would get more protein. YUM!! Again a delicious combo."
"LOVE this recipe! I didn't have any parsley and used dried basil and it was a total hit! Making it again tonight."
"I made approx 1/3 recipe and used up some extra orzo from last evening. For butter I used Irish Herb butter and added a bit extra fresh basil! I added the paprika to the mixture and the extra stuffing was served along side. Very delicious!"
"I couldn't stop eating these tomatoes! The orzo stuffing is so delicious! It's the perfect amount of flavoring that doesn't overpower the sweetness of the ripe tomatoes. It's a wonderful summer side dish. I paired it with rosemary salmon but it would be great with grilled chicken too."
"This is a really good recipe. I served it as an accompaniment to our salmon entree for a light and healthy dinner. I added some toasted pine nuts to the stuffing. I would probably cut back on the orzo next time."