From Desert Hot Springs, California, Marian Ridgeway writes, “My neighbor and I used to have a friendly competition for that first ripe tomato! This side dish with orzo is always a favorite.”
- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Set aside 6 tablespoons pulp for filling. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Drain orzo.
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, orzo and reserved pulp. Spoon into tomatoes.
- Place in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Orzo-Stuffed Tomatoes in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p32
Reviews for Orzo-Stuffed Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review