Orzo-Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion \over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Drain. Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add the marinara sauce, tomato, basil, rosemary and pepper flakes. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake according to directions. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Orzo-Stuffed Peppers(22)
Sort By :
My entire family loves this recipe!!! Make the meat mixture ahead & freeze. Then on a weeknight you only need to make the orzo & stuff the peppers.
I MADE THESE PEPPERS SO I HAVE TO GO BY THIS PERSONS OPINION. SHE SAID THEY TASTED GREAT ESPECIALLY WITH THE ORZO FILLING
Used red green &orange peppers & shredded chicken breasts. WOW tastes good &colorfull to
I make mine meatless or with Morningstar Crumblers. I like a mild sauce, so I make up an envelope of Knorr's Parma Rosa sauce...very good and freezes well..
Love love LOVE. I used half spicy turkey sausage and half regular turkey sausage...PERFECT! Highly recommend serving in a red pepper to add a little sweetness.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Sausage Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >