Orzo-Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add the marinara sauce, tomato, basil, rosemary and pepper flakes. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Orzo-Stuffed Peppers
Sort By :
"My entire family loves this recipe!!! Make the meat mixture ahead & freeze. Then on a weeknight you only need to make the orzo & stuff the peppers."
"Used red green &orange peppers & shredded chicken breasts. WOW tastes good &colorfull to"
"I make mine meatless or with Morningstar Crumblers. I like a mild sauce, so I make up an envelope of Knorr's Parma Rosa sauce...very good and freezes well.."
"Love love LOVE. I used half spicy turkey sausage and half regular turkey sausage...PERFECT! Highly recommend serving in a red pepper to add a little sweetness."
"I cooked the orzo until al dente and I boiled the peppers for 3 mins. I like crisp and fresh meals and this was a delight! And I am a tough critic!"