Orzo-Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 3. Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add the marinara sauce, tomato, basil, rosemary and pepper flakes. Spoon into peppers.
- 4. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed pepper equals 523 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 836 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.