- 4 large green peppers
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add the marinara sauce, tomato, basil, rosemary and pepper flakes. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Orzo-Stuffed Peppers
"My entire family loves this recipe!!! Make the meat mixture ahead & freeze. Then on a weeknight you only need to make the orzo & stuff the peppers."
"Used red green &orange peppers & shredded chicken breasts. WOW tastes good &colorfull to"
"I make mine meatless or with Morningstar Crumblers. I like a mild sauce, so I make up an envelope of Knorr's Parma Rosa sauce...very good and freezes well.."
"Love love LOVE. I used half spicy turkey sausage and half regular turkey sausage...PERFECT! Highly recommend serving in a red pepper to add a little sweetness."
"I cooked the orzo until al dente and I boiled the peppers for 3 mins. I like crisp and fresh meals and this was a delight! And I am a tough critic!"
"I have made this twice, once with bulk Johnsonville and once with Italian links that I squeezed the meat out of. Next time I will try a mix of mild and hot sausage. I used half red peppers and half green. My son asked for the recipe and he doesn't do that often! It's the best stuffed pepper recipe we have ever tried."
"ZOMG these were amazing delicious!! We used spicy italian sausage instead for that little extra kick and this dish was polished off quick!!! Absolutely yum! :D"
"This recipe was very delicious. I shared it with the neighbors and it was a big hit!"
"I'm a little too Swedish for all the spice but everyone else loved them! I did use about 2/3 of the pepper flakes called for in the recipe. Good flavor, most stuffed peppers seem pretty bland but not these."
"Made this tonight and it came out delicious. I stuck to the recipe for the most part but used hot and sweet sausage together. Also instead of a tomato and sauce, I used a can of basil & garlic diced tomatoes which took care of both in one with some extra flavor. Would definitely make again!"