Orzo Shrimp Stew
Since Lisa Stinger and her husband really enjoy seafood, she doesn't skimp on shrimp in this recipe! "This mildly seasoned stew has other satisfying ingredients, too, like broccoli, tomatoes and pasta," she writes from Hamilton, New Jersey.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add the broccoli, tomatoes and
- orzo. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring
- Add the shrimp, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or
- until shrimp turn pink and orzo is tender. Stir in basil and butter.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-3/4 cups) equals 401 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 190 mg cholesterol, 919 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.