Orzo Shrimp Stew Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add the broccoli, tomatoes and orzo. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add the shrimp, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and orzo is tender. Stir in basil and butter. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cup: 401 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 919mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Orzo Shrimp Stew
"This was wonderful! I followed the recipe exactly, with one small exception - instead of using plain canned diced tomatoes, I used the canned diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic. This was a big hit with the family. That being said, I would definitely double the recipe next time, because if you truly are serving four people, with decent size appetites, it may not be quite enough, and, I also like to have leftovers!"
"Excellent! The only small thing I did differently was, rather than using plain canned diced tomatoes, I used the basil, garlic & oregano canned, diced tomatoes. Other than that minor change in the type of canned tomatoes, I followed this exactly and would absolutely make again"
"Fast, easy and delicious!!!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.