Orzo-Lentil Rice Recipe
A tender medley of pasta, lentils and rice partners perfectly with a meat or vegetarian entrée. Herbs and chopped veggies add interest to the side dish. —Misty Scondras, Dalton, Pennsylvania
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the water, lentils and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Stir in pasta and rice. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 15-20 minutes longer or until pasta and rice are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 244 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC