A tender medley of pasta, lentils and rice partners perfectly with a meat or vegetarian entrée. Herbs and chopped veggies add interest to the side dish. —Misty Scondras, Dalton, Pennsylvania
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the water, lentils and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and rice. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 15-20 minutes longer or until pasta and rice are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Orzo-Lentil Rice in Country Woman October/November 2010, p41
Reviews for Orzo-Lentil Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2015
"Used Olive oil instead of butter and less salt. I love this as a side or a snack! I am a salt and butter/fat fiend who is trying to cut back...This is a tasty recipe even with less of both."