Orzo and Peppers Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 package (8 ounces) uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into thin 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into thin 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add orzo. Cook according to package directions; drain. In a large nonstick skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes longer. Add the orzo, cheese and vinegar; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 208 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 344 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.