Orlando Orange Fritters
In later years, when Mother at long last retired her faithful old country stove, she moved to Florida. When grandchildren came to visit, she made them this Southern version of her Heartland fried cakes.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the eggs, orange juice, butter and orange peel; stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry
- until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper
- towels. Dust warm fritters with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 20