Original Brown Butter Refrigerator Cookies Recipe
These tasty, crispy cookies, from Ione Diekfuss of Muskego, Wisconsin, won Country Woman's first-ever recipe contest, back in December 1970. "I especially like them because they're quick and easy to prepare," she said. Our Test Kitchen made a batch recently and our staff agreed they're as tasty today as they were then, and are great for dunking in milk or coffee.
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until golden brown, about 7-9 minutes (do not burn). Remove from the heat; stir in brown sugar until blended.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl; whisk in eggs one at a time. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans.
- 3. Shape into four 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 4. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or just until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: About 10-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 44 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch
Reviews for Original Brown Butter Refrigerator Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC