- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh Marionberries or blackberries
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water and lemon juice, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix 1 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Add berries; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and extracts; spread over prepared crust. Top with berry mixture.
- Roll out remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Brush lattice strips with cream; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. (Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.) Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Oregon's Best Marionberry Pie
Sort By :
This is best pie I have ever made. Made for my mom for mother's day since she was born and raised in oregon. i used butter flavored shortening and was a better crust. everyone loved it.