- 1 small tart apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 round loaf (2 pounds) unsliced Italian bread
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham, divided
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients; chill for at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of the bread; hollow out the bottom half, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- Drain 1/4 cup liquid from the fruit mixture; brush on inside of bread shell. In bottom of bread shell, layer half of the ham, 1-1/4 cups fruit mixture, cheese, remaining fruit mixture and remaining ham. Replace bread top and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Oregon Muffuletta in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p97
Reviews for Oregon Muffuletta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2015
"Might want to add jar of pickled mix peppers carrots cauliflower etc. Whats the name? Goood!! Thanks drain well before chopping."