Traditional muffuletta is made extra special with the addition of apples, blueberries and cranberries. This is a meaty make-ahead meal that's perfect for picnics and potlucks.
- 1 small tart apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 round loaf (2 pounds) unsliced Italian bread
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham, divided
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients; chill for at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of the bread; hollow out the bottom half, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- Drain 1/4 cup liquid from the fruit mixture; brush on inside of bread shell. In bottom of bread shell, layer half of the ham, 1-1/4 cups fruit mixture, cheese, remaining fruit mixture and remaining ham. Replace bread top and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Oregon Muffuletta in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p97
Reviews for Oregon Muffuletta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review