- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thinly shredded zucchini
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon water
- Place raisins and water in a bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain; set raisins aside. In a bowl, combine sugar, oil and eggs; mix well. Stir in cereal, orange peel and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture. mix well. stir in zucchini and raisins. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and orange peel until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and water; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Orange Zucchini Cake
"I did prepare this recipe for the first time and I have adjusted this recipe to suit my personal tastes! I used regular raisins and instead of all-bran cereal, I'd used 1/2 cup crushed Raisin Bran cereal. I used 1-1/2 tsp. GROUND Navel orange and I'd used lemon extract instead of vanilla for a variety on flavoring. I used 1/2 tsp. salt and enough finely chopped tart unpeeled apple to well-drained shredded zucchini to equal 1 cup. For oven tempt., I used a 350o F. oven and baked 40 to 45 minutes (I used the 45 minute baking time). For the icing, I'd used 4 oz. cream cheese and 1 tsp. ground Navel orange. I used 1 tsp. evaporated milk instead of water. I'd added 1/8 cup all-purpose flour when adding the raisins, zucchini and apple to batter. I used a 12x8" greased and floured baking pan to bake this cake! I was pleased with the results-I admit that I have to make sure that the batter is spread evenly-I've tried to do that and at times, 1 corner of cake is not as high! Other than that this recipe would rate a 5* recipe! The icing was just enough to use on this cake! Thank you, AnneMacDonald, for sharing your recipe!delowenstein"