Orange You Spiky Recipe
Don't worry, this cupcake won't hurt a bit. You'll be amazed at what a few chow mein noodles can do when used on this monster cupcake. —Karen Tack, Riverside, Connecticut
- 6 chocolate or vanilla cupcakes baked in black foil liners
- 1 can (16 ounces) plus 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- Red and yellow food coloring
- 12 honey wheat sticks or pretzel sticks
- 12 mini marshmallows
- 12 brown M&M’s
- Chocolate jimmies
- 1. 1. Spread the tops of the cupcakes with a small mound of vanilla frosting. Insert chow mein noodles into cupcakes to look like spikes. Place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up.
- 2. 2. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the vanilla frosting into a small resealable bag and set aside.
- 3. 3. Tint the remaining frosting bright orange with the food coloring and spoon into a glass microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the frosting, stirring frequently, until it is the texture of slightly whipped cream.
- 4. 4. Holding the foil liner of the slightly frozen cupcake, dip the top of the cupcake up to the liner in the melted frosting to coat. Use a spoon to add more frosting if necessary. Allow the excess frosting to drip off. Invert and transfer to a cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
- 5. 5. Insert one end of a wheat stick into the side of a mini marshmallow. Repeat with the remaining marshmallows and wheat sticks. Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe a dot of frosting on one flat side of a marshmallow. Add a brown candy as the pupil. Add a few chocolate jimmies on the top as eyelashes. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting on the brown candy as the sparkle in the eyes.
- 6. 6. Insert two marshmallow eyes on top of a frosted cupcake about 1 in. apart. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Yield: 6 cupcakes.
Reviews for Orange You Spiky
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC