Orange Yogurt Scones
"My mother handed down this recipe to me when I moved out of the house," recalls Hollye Chapman of Corvallis, Oregon. "It produces a very light scone that tastes great with orange marmalade, lemon curd or most kinds of jam. Use any flavor fruit yogurt if you don't have orange," she adds.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) orange yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- In a bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking
- soda and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. In another bowl, whisk
- the yogurt, orange juice and peel; stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Pat into an 8-in. circle.
- Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with remaining
- sugar. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 209 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.