Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes
Friends and family will flip over these light whole wheat pancakes with a sunny twist of citrus. Earl Brunner of Las Vegas, Nevada adapted them from a traditional pancake recipe. "Feel free to mix raisins or dried cranberries into the batter to add a bit of chewy sweetness," he recommends.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- In a blender, combine the first four ingredients. Cover and process
- until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking
- powder and salt; make a well. Add orange juice mixture; stir just
- until moistened.
- Pour batter by 2 tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle coated with
- cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancake; cook until
- second side is golden brown. Serve with marmalade. Yield: 16
Nutritional Facts: 2 pancakes with 1 tablespoon marmalade equals 150 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 238 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.