Orange Vegetable Kabobs Recipe
"I created this recipe to add some zip to grilled vegetables," relates Laurie Whitney, Bradford, Massachusetts. "Their color, crispness and taste are tempting to all ages. Even my young son eats his veggies when I prepare them this way."
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 large unpeeled navel orange
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 medium fresh mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1. Cut the onion and orange into eight wedges; halve each wedge. Alternately thread vegetables and orange pieces onto eight metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place in a shallow oblong dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt if desired, garlic powder and pepper. Pour over skewers. Marinate for 15 minutes, turning and basting frequently. Drain and discard marinade.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill, covered, over medium indirect direct heat for 10-14 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Brush with orange juice just before serving. Yield: 8 kabobs.
1 each: 111 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Orange Vegetable Kabobs
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC