Orange Vegetable Kabobs Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 large unpeeled navel orange
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 medium fresh mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1. Cut the onion and orange into eight wedges; halve each wedge. Alternately thread vegetables and orange pieces onto eight metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place in a shallow oblong dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt if desired, garlic powder and pepper. Pour over skewers. Marinate for 15 minutes, turning and basting frequently. Drain and discard marinade.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill, covered, over medium indirect direct heat for 10-14 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Brush with orange juice just before serving. Yield: 8 kabobs.
One kabob (calculated without salt) equals 111 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.