The roasted garlic sauce in this recipe makes ordinary chicken breasts amazing. To switch things up, replace the orange juice and zest with lime. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, FL
Featured In: 99 of Our Favorite Chicken Dinner Ideas
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 3 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jarred roasted minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Orange slices, optional
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- Place orange juice and 2 tablespoons thyme in an 8-in.-square baking dish; add chicken. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from orange juice mixture; pat chicken dry. Reserve 1/3 cup marinade; discard remaining marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Using tongs, remove chicken from pan, reserving butter in pan.
- Stir in flour until blended. Cook 30-45 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Gradually stir in broth and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in green onions, roasted garlic, orange peel and remaining minced thyme. Return chicken to pan; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. If desired, serve with orange slices and thyme sprigs. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Thyme Chicken in Garlic Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p135
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Orange-Thyme Chicken in Garlic Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review