Orange Tea Cake Recipe
- 7 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and salt; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in orange juice and peel. Add dry ingredients to yolk mixture; mix well.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove to a serving plate. Dust with confectioner's sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (1 piece) equals 211 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Orange Tea Cake
"This is a wonderful, light, springy cake. Love the touch of orange taste to the cake. We have made this several times, always with good results and many complements."
"Are these baking times correct??? I baked it according to the directions, and it sprung back when I touched it so I inverted it onto a cooling rack like it said, only to find that only the outside had cooked and the rest was still a gooey dough! What a huge mess!"