My family and I look forward to warm slices of this citrus-flavored coffee cake every Christmas and Easter morning. It's a tasty traditional we've been doing for a number of years.—Barbara Daniel, Ducor, California
Recommended: 20 Recipes to Bake with Cinnamon
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, sour cream, 6 tablespoons butter, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut, orange peel and remaining sugar; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into an 18-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Spread coconut mixture over dough. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Place seam side near the top and facing the center tube in a greased fluted 10-in. tube pan; pinch ends together. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine the sugar, cornstarch, sour cream, butter and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Spoon or brush over warm coffee cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Orange Swirl Coffee Cake in Country October/November 2000, p49
Reviews for Orange Swirl Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review