Skip the traditional sweet potato casserole and try this salad sensation instead. Writes Roberta freedman of Mesilla Park, New Mexico, "I really like this different treatment for sweet potatoes—I first tasted something similar at a friend's house years ago. This was a favorite of our children during the holidays. Now it's our grandson's favorite, too."
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 9-10 minutes or until tender; drain and place in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and toss. Add celery and oranges.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, salt, ginger, nutmeg and remaining lemon juice. Pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, stir in pecans. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p59
Reviews for Orange Sweet Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review