I make these citrusy cookies for parties and special occasions, and we always get to eat the ones that don't come out perfectly. Eventually I had to start making extra "mistakes" to keep my family happy! —Myrrh Wertz, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Featured In: 25 Recipes for Easter Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3 drops orange food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, orange peel, orange juice and extract. Gradually beat in flour.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, milk and, if desired, food coloring until smooth. Pipe or spread over cookies; let stand until set. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Orange Sugar Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p15
Reviews forOrange Sugar Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review