Orange Spritz Cookies
Brown sugar gives these spritz cookies a lovely light caramel tint. This variation has a rich buttery shortbread taste and texture with a hint of orange flavor. They are a delightful addition to my holiday cookie tray.
-Sean Fleming, St. Charles, Illinois
33 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange or vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar until
- light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel and extract. Combine flour
- and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press
- cookies 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with
- colored sugar. Bake at 375° for 6-9 minutes or until lightly
- browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield:
- about 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 2 cookies (calculated without colored sugar) equals 67 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.