Brown sugar gives these spritz cookies a lovely light caramel tint. This variation has a rich buttery shortbread taste and texture with a hint of orange flavor. They are a delightful addition to my holiday cookie tray. -Sean Fleming, St. Charles, Illinois
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange or vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel and extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press cookies 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake at 375° for 6-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Orange Spritz Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p39
Reviews for Orange Spritz Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2010
"I have made these for years now. they are addictive. the orange adds a litle something. It's not over powering."