Orange Sponge Cake Recipe
This was the cake that my dad used to request for his birthday every year. For a wedding present 2 years ago, my aunt Marilyn included this recipe in a family cookbook for me. —Amy Sauser, Omaha, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 teaspoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 1/3 cup sugar and salt together twice; set aside.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup sugar. Add orange juice and peel; beat 3 minutes longer. Gradually add flour mixture and mix well.
- 3. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- 5. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 6. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan; remove from the heat. Add confectioners’ sugar, water and vanilla; stir until smooth. Pour over cake, allowing it to drizzle down sides. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 317 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC