Orange Spinach Salad Recipe
The combination of mustard-onion dressing with juicy oranges, cheese and crunchy sweet almonds is a joy for every taste bud! We eat this salad several times a week. —Jenn Rytting, West Jordan, Utah
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1. In a small heavy skillet, melt sugar over low heat. Add almonds and stir to coat. Cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Spread onto a greased sheet of foil; break apart if necessary.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, spinach, mushrooms, cheese, red onion, bacon and oranges.
- 3. For dressing, in a blender, combine the vinegar, sugar, onion, mustard and salt; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds.
- 4. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sugared almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 16 servings (1 cup each).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC