Orange Slice Cookies
Soft candy orange slices are a refreshing addition to these crispy vanilla chip cookies from Britt Strain, Idaho Falls, Idaho. To quickly cut the orange candy, use scissors, rinsing the blades with cold water occasionally to reduce sticking.
60 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup orange candy slices
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) vanilla or white chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cut each orange slice into eight pieces. Roll in 1/4 cup sugar; set
- aside. In a bowl, cream the butter, shortening, brown sugar and
- remaining sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt;
- gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chips, pecans and orange
- slice pieces.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Yield: about 10 dozen.