Orange Shrimp Mojo Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or tangerine peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons rum or chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1. In a dry small skillet over medium heat, toast cumin seeds and peppercorns until aromatic, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds using a spice mill or blender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the orange peel, oregano, salt and crushed cumin and peppercorns. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon spice mixture over shrimp.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook shrimp in oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute; turn shrimp. Add the orange juice, rum, garlic and 1 tablespoon spice mixture. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink; remove and keep warm.
- 4. Bring liquid in skillet to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, for salsa, combine the orange, onion, avocado, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeno and remaining spice mixture in a small bowl.
- 5. Stir remaining cilantro into sauce. Serve with shrimp and salsa. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 175 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Orange Shrimp Mojo
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.